This forum is for traders to share information about OptionVue analytical software.

OptionVue Setup for Cloud Use

4 replies, 1 voice Last updated by Sherri Locke 4 years, 4 months ago
Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author

Sherri Locke
      Keymaster
      @KDAKSj4ux
      Going to The Trading Triangle LIVE 2016Ultimate Income Trader Workshop

A BIG THANK YOU to our valued member Francois for sharing this information.

This information was obtained from tech support at OptionVue – it explains how to set-up OptionVue so the data files are stored in the cloud. This way, OptionVue can be installed on multiple computers and access one set of data files that sync up through the cloud.

Here is the link to a youtube video explaining the process.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQEsR-Lb8B8

Sherri Locke
      Keymaster
      @KDAKSj4ux

OptionVue Setup for Cloud Use Transcript – Part 1

1. Hello everyone, welcome to OptionVue. Today we will setup OptionVue with using a cloud drive.
      We had previously recommended installing the OptionVue program directly on the local cloud drive,
      but several users brought it to our attention that OptionVue would “time out” when ran this way and
      would lock up the OptionVue program. So in response to those concerns, we are updating our cloud
      drive recommendations.

2. Before we begin, please be sure to have a viable cloud drive installed on each computer where you have
      OptionVue installed. As you can see on my computer, I have Google Drive installed.  The instructions in this video
      will, for the most part, work with any cloud drive (OneDrive, Dropbox, iCloud, etc.) – you just might have to tweak
      some these steps depending on your cloud drive of choice. I know that many of you already have a cloud drive installed
      on your computer and the only thing I would impress upon you is to ensure your local cloud drive is in fact syncing
      correctly with all your other devices having the cloud drive installed – without the sync running properly,
      the information in this video will not work.

3. Next, you will then need to have OptionVue installed on each computer. You are allowed to have the OptionVue program on as many computers as you like, just keep in mind that you can only be logged into one instance of OptionVue at any given time.  So if you haven’t already done so, please install OptionVue on any other computer you will be using.

Sherri Locke
      Keymaster
      @KDAKSj4ux

OptionVue Setup for Cloud Use Transcript – Part 2

4. Now, we need set up an OptionVue work folder on the local CLOUD drive that will contain the needed sub-folders
      so we will have up-to-date  access to our OptionVue accounts and data.   On my computer, I have a folder called
      “OV Work Folders” on my Google Drive, which contain the folders and files i will be using on my other computer running OptionVue.

5. Once my local cloud drive work folder is created, I go to my local drive location for OptionVue (the default location is C:\OpVue8)
      and I copy the folders that I want to access on each computer:  I recommend copying the following folders: Archive, Data, Hist,
      Opscan, and Records.  I don’t copy BKGND (the background folder) since that folder contains daily files that are downloaded every
      time the OptionVue program is opened for the first time each new day.  To copy my folders, all I do is highlight the folders i want
      by holding down the CTRL key and then left click each folder, and then, when all the folders are highlighted, right-click on one
      of them and select COPY.

Sherri Locke
      Keymaster
      @KDAKSj4ux

OptionVue Setup for Cloud Use Transcript – Part 3

6. The next step is to go to my work folder on the local cloud drive, double-click that folder to open it up, and then right-click inside
      the folder and click on PASTE or you can just do a CTRL-V anywhere inside that empty folder and the folders will now copy to that
      Now the folders from your main computer are in your local cloud folder.  After copying the folders, wait a minute or two
      and then verify that the folders were sync’d to your other cloud drives on your other devices.

7. Now, start the OptionVue program, and then click on SETTINGS, then PREFERENCES, and then FOLDERS.  Your HOME folder should always be on your local drive (as stated previously, mine is located at  C:\OpVue8\).  Click on the ellipsis box on the right side of
      each folder path field, drill down on your local cloud drive to where each corresponding folder resides and select that folder name.
      Please note the following:  Asset FIles = your DATA folder, Recordkeeping Files = your RECORDS folder, Historical Price Files = your HIST folder,
      Opscan Files = your OPSCAN folder, and Archive Files = your ARCHIVE folder.  Click OK after entering all the path locations and you are
      now keeping your most current work folders on the cloud.  You will need to do these exact steps on each computer that has the
      OptionVue program installed

Sherri Locke
      Keymaster
      @KDAKSj4ux

OptionVue Setup for Cloud Use Transcript – Part 4

8. As a side note, when I know I’m going to be using one of my other computers, I will copy certain program files from my main work
      computer to my local CLOUD drive and then when I’m on my other computer, I copy those files from my local CLOUD folder to my
      local OptionVue folder. These files are:  CCL, OPVUE.CF, OPVUE.DF, OPVUE.WSP,  and QUOTES.COL – these are program files
      that contain formatting, defaults, matrix settings, login and password credentials, and most importantly, all of the tabs & symbols in
      the Quotes Display .  By copying these files and placing them on my alternate PC, I make my alternate computer run OptionVue as close
      as possible to my main work computer.  Keep in mind, when you are done using your alternate computer, you will have to copy these
      files BACK to your original main work computer using these same steps.

9. This concludes our demonstration of running OptionVue with a cloud drive. If you have any questions or would like a transcript of
      this presentation, please feel free to email us at tech@optionvue.com or call OptionVue Tech Support at 847-816-6610.
      Thanks for listening and have a good day

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.