This forum is for GO and PRO Members to post specific questions on the trading strategies for the live sessions regularly scheduled for Monday mornings at 9:30 AM ET.

2021.08.23– SESSION 842 – OPTIONS TRADING FOR INCOME

12 replies, 5 voices Last updated by John Locke 1 month, 4 weeks ago
Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author

Sherri Locke
      Keymaster
      @KDAKSj4ux
      Going to The Trading Triangle LIVE 2016Ultimate Income Trader Workshop

The trade logs and trading results spreadsheet for August expiration are ready to view! Enjoy!

John Locke
        Keymaster
        @john-locke
        Going to The Trading Triangle LIVE 2016Locke In Your Success CoachAPM2Trade JournalsUltimate Income Trader Workshop

This thread is closed. Please post further topics in next available OTFI meeting

Ron van Steenoven
      Participant
      @ronvs@rvsa.ca

Hi John,

Just a heads-up on the October M3 entry demonstrated today. You accidentally entered using September instead of October options.

John Locke
        Keymaster
        @john-locke
        Going to The Trading Triangle LIVE 2016Locke In Your Success CoachAPM2Trade JournalsUltimate Income Trader Workshop

Thanks Ron, I will make the correction next week.

Warren Seeto
      Participant
      @warren@lifearcade.com

Hi John,

Just a quick question regarding the Bear trade for 20 Aug 21. I noticed in the OTFI video that you put this on as a Put butterfly, however from the FIT strategy videos you mention that this is a Iron Butterfly (Bull Put + Bear Call) position.

Wondering if the strategy has been updated since the original video or if they are interchangeable?

Thanks in advance,
      Warren

John Locke
        Keymaster
        @john-locke

@Warren, Since the Bear is managed without Greeks and solely through asset price points, P/L, and time triggers, it does not matter if you use put, call, or iron butterflies. I use put butterflies over iron in the demos because it is easier for me to distinguish it from the Bearish Butterfly in the examples.

Warren Seeto
        Participant
        @warren@lifearcade.com

Thanks for clarifying that John.

Would you also mind sharing what the adjustments were for this position? From the FIT videos, you mention there are 2 stages of adjustments at +40 and +60. Since the RUT pushed higher in the last 2 trading sessions, I was hoping you could clarify whether the short strikes are adjusted by the the same distance respectively (Ver 1) or whether they are adjusted based on the 17-27 strike under the asset price (Ver 2).

Ver 1
        20/8/21: RUT @ 2167 -> 2090/2140/2190
        23/8/21: RUT @ 2208 (+41) -> 2130/2180/2230 (Adjustment 1)
        24/8/21: RUT @ 2230 (+63) -> 2150/2200/2250 (Adjustment 2)

Ver 2
        20/8/21: RUT @ 2167 -> 2090/2140/2190
        23/8/21: RUT @ 2208 (+41) -> 2140/2190/2240 (Adjustment 1)
        24/8/21: RUT @ 2230 (+63) -> 2160/2210/2260 (Adjustment 2)

Thanks,
        Warren

John Locke
        Keymaster
        @john-locke

17-27 is used only for initial entry. Once trade is underway it is no longer relevant.

Short strikes are always 20 points apart and added and/or rolled at predetermined asset price points based on the reference point.

I do not know the reference point in your question but you would not have shorts at 2140, 2190, and 2110 since 2140 and 2190 are not 20 points apart. ASSUMING your reference point was at 2140 AND the asset price was 2230, your short strikes would be 2200, 2220, 2240

Warren Seeto
        Participant
        @warren@lifearcade.com

Hi John,

Thanks for clearing that up. Correct, the reference point for the initial entry was 2140.

After reviewing the FIT videos again (took me a little while to wrap my head around it), I’m a lot clearer now on how the adjustments work. Based on this I calculated the following adjustment schedule which leaves me with the following strikes at 2200,2220 and 2240 that you highlighted above.

As a follow-up question to this, what are you thoughts for doing an extended roll on this position? Right now seems like the RUT is approaching a key resistance level at around 2255. If it breaks out would you consider closing the 2200 and opening a 2260?

Thanks,
        Warren

John Locke
        Keymaster
        @john-locke

By guidelines we would do the extended roll if the trade is down <5% planned capital. If you’re asking about my thoughts on the RUT being higher, I’d largely key that off the SPX and how the RUT is reacting in reaction to it. With the current situation I would not expect the RUT to go much higher if at all in the short term but that can change rapidly based on new information coming into the charts.

Warren Seeto
        Participant
        @warren@lifearcade.com

Gotcha – thanks again John.

Sherri Locke
      Keymaster
      @KDAKSj4ux
      Going to The Trading Triangle LIVE 2016Ultimate Income Trader Workshop

The recording of the Options Trading for Income by the Guidelines webinar from earlier today is ready to view. Enjoy!

Jenica Locke
      Keymaster
      @Holzschuh8Jenica

Please post your questions or trade review requests for this session at least 48 hours prior to the live session so we can prepare the most complete and detailed answers for you! Thank you!

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.