This forum is for students of the M3 trading strategy to share information.

Weekly Calls Tips and Techniques

Tagged: , ,

13 replies, 7 voices Last updated by Marco Krause 5 years, 6 months ago
Viewing 10 reply threads
  • Author

Marco Krause
      Participant
      @marco.krause70@web.de
      Congratulations Hawaii Challenge Goal Accomplished!30 Day Affirmation ChallengeThe Trading Triangle Maui 2016

if the RUT makes huge downmoves like beginning of the year 2016 and you don’t agrressive roll the weeklys down
      you have less delta and less profit/loss because the call delta decrease and you habe only a BB on.
      the capital efficient on top.

Marco Krause
      Participant
      @marco.krause70@web.de
      Congratulations Hawaii Challenge Goal Accomplished!30 Day Affirmation ChallengeThe Trading Triangle Maui 2016

@andrew: you’re right. it’s a debit nor a credit, i will learn from that -)

Robert Dobrin
      Participant
      @bobdobrin@yahoo.com
      APM2 LIVE Attendee30 Day Affirmation ChallengeThe Trading Triangle Maui 2016Ultimate Income Trader Workshop

The use of weekly calls allows you to place a bigger trade with a given amount of capital than using monthly calls which will need to be deeper in the money to have the same delta hedge. The downside is that they need to be rolled every week. A 10 cent credit on 5-10 calls amounts to $50 to $100 does not change the outcome of an M3 trade. If I need to roll down to reduce the time value of the calls, which can put a drag on the trade, I change my order to a diagonal and try to pay no more than $0.50 time value. So if I am rolling down 50 points I will pay $50.50 max, if I can’t I will move the strike down until I can. This needs to be done before the time value of the expiring option decays away. I roll up to higher strikes when I need to reduce capital in the trade otherwise I don’t want to be bothered with the calls. Managing the put side of the position keeps me busy enough.

Michael Durojaye
      Participant
      @mdurojaye@gmail.com

what do you do when the Time Premium goes negative, roll up to other higher strikes or out to the next week?

Marco Krause
      Participant
      @marco.krause70@web.de

nice, execution for a credit 0,10$ roll weekly call 29jan to 05feb
      http://screencast.com/t/PgfW8CLycU

Andrew Stanton
        Participant
        @astanton@optonline.net
        APM2The Trading Triangle Maui 2016

Call me crazy but that looks like a debit to me. A credit would be entered as -10 when you buy the spread.

Robert Dobrin
      Participant
      @bobdobrin@yahoo.com
      APM2 LIVE Attendee30 Day Affirmation ChallengeThe Trading Triangle Maui 2016Ultimate Income Trader Workshop

You won’t get filled for a credit when your call strike is anywhere near the money, so placing the order in that case will only serve as a reminder. It may happen (getting a credit) when you are deep in the money and the buying/selling pressure on your options lines up to give you a credit. If you get a credit and decide later in the week to roll the strike up to reduce capital there is no downside because they paid you to make the roll.

As it turns out as I was typing I got filled rolling my 870 calls to next week for a 0.10 credit.

Anonymous One
      Participant
      @anonymous@lockeinyoursuccess.com

Just to add to this topic….I just watched the 1/20/16 community coaching presentation and John spends a lot of time reviewing a M3 trade using weekly calls in the current volatile market environment. It was very informative and helpful if you are using (or thinking about using) weekly calls.

Robert Dobrin
      Participant
      @bobdobrin@yahoo.com

I enter my weekly roll order for a 10 cent credit, gtc immediately. In an uptrending market you are likely to be filled for a credit sometime during the week(you have no idea when). It is iffy in a flat market (but possible). and almost impossible in a down market. There are two benefits to doing this. Obviously rolling for a credit is good, but secondly by making the order gtc it is always on your screen thus serving as a constant reminder. This stuff is complicated enough I don’t want simple human error to get in the way.

Anonymous One
        Participant

Thanks Bob. That is very helpful.

Gabor Maly
        Participant
        @malygabor@gmail.com
        30 Day Affirmation ChallengeThe Trading Triangle Maui 2016

Bob,

Thanks for that suggestion of placing a roll order immediately after placing the whole trade.
        If you do get filled early in the week for the same strike in new expiration do you ever find that you need to roll again to different strike with less time premium, in other words that it would have been better to wait for the last day and then choose the “correct” strike?

Anonymous One
      Participant

Type X2, X3, or X4….in the max proj date field to get weekly and monthly options to show on the same analysis graph. The number after the X depends on how many weekly/monthly options you are viewing in your matrix. Try it and you will see what I mean. You still have to answer yes to the the 2 questions but you can just hit enter. I wish ov had a better way to do this but the X# works pretty quickly.

Kevin Chan
      Participant
      @kchan@outlook.com

What is the X2, X3 tip in OV?

Anonymous One
      Participant

Hello,

I was trading M3 for about 2 years (2012 and 2013). I had to take a break for personal reasons but am now back to trading the M3. I have seen a few mentions about using weekly calls in the M3 trade in the forum and in David Heinzen’s excellent video. I have made a few notes and done some backtesting in ov to get a feel for it but I am wondering if there are any tips that others can share? Like order entry for rolling, etc.? What day of the week do you roll, etc.?

(I did pick up the ‘X2’, ‘X3’ tip in ov for the analysis chart which is very helpful).

Thanks,

Bryan

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.