This forum is for students of the M3 trading strategy to share information.

RUT M3 Trade Journal – April Entry

Tagged: ,

46 replies, 10 voices Last updated by Cynthia Sarver 5 years, 3 months ago
Viewing 43 reply threads
  • Author

Cynthia Sarver
      Participant
      @wawd@yahoo.com
      Blog WriterGoing to The Trading Triangle LIVE 2016APM2 LIVE AttendeeSuccessful Options Trader of the Month30 Day Affirmation ChallengeTrade Journals

Excellent!  Makes a lot of sense now.  Thanks!

Justin Ware
      Participant
      @wareinjust@hotmail.com
      30 Day Affirmation ChallengeThe Trading Triangle Maui 2016APM2

Actually, is a pretty simple rule. I’ll be in a conference for work the next 3 days so I won’t be unable to keep an eye on the trade. If it was early in the trade, I wouldn’t be too concerned, however we’re rapidly approaching expiration which makes me uncomfortable with holding while potentially not having access to make adjustments.

Cynthia Sarver
      Participant
      @wawd@yahoo.com
      Blog WriterGoing to The Trading Triangle LIVE 2016APM2 LIVE AttendeeSuccessful Options Trader of the Month30 Day Affirmation ChallengeTrade Journals

Justin – what made you decide to exit the trade?  I haven’t put it in OV (and I agree with what Chris said above) but it seemed fine with last configuration you showed.  (Plus, you know I’m a HUGE fan of exit rules and am always looking for one that I’ve missed!)  Just curious…

Justin Ware
      Participant
      @wareinjust@hotmail.com

I am seriously considering getting optionvue since the Greeks on One appear to be less accurate to the actual position.

Chris Simpson
      Participant
      @fastchris@comcast.net
      APM230 Day Affirmation ChallengeTrade Journals

Justin, I suggest you take a look at optionvue software.  In my opinion it makes a difference since all these trades were designed and backtested with it.

Chris.

Justin Ware
      Participant
      @wareinjust@hotmail.com

I ended up getting out of the trade on Friday for around a 6% loss. I will be entering a May trade this week and will post this weekend sometime.

Andrew John
      Participant
      @ajohnnd@gmail.com

As I’ve mentioned before, I don’t trade this, so I don’t have good intuition for how this position will react to up/down/flat days. My suspicion though is that you are probably not positive theta at this point. Based on other trades I do trade, I find that when I’m outside of the tent, the steepening of the T+0 line with the passage of time (going negative in this case) usually comes with the trade-off of theta decay negatively impacting your P&L. Now there’s usually an inflection point for this that gets lower and lower as more time passes, but given you are 10pts above the tent with 14 DTE, the position may drop in value tomorrow if the market stays put. Just my 2 cents.

——

Interested to see how it plays out. Best of luck!

Justin Ware
      Participant
      @wareinjust@hotmail.com

If the market sits, I don’t mind being positive delta in the current position as it won’t stay positive delta for long considering there aren’t many days to expiration.  If the market moves up, I plan to take off the trade and enter into my May trade.  If the market pulls back, I’ll look to adjust by rolling some short puts down.

Andrew John
      Participant
      @ajohnnd@gmail.com

How do you feel about being positive delta while also being outside the tent? I’m having a hard time seeing where the profits will come from given this current configuration.

Justin Ware
      Participant
      @wareinjust@hotmail.com

My position went positive vega today so I rolled up some of my short puts.

Current Position:

Long 8 Puts at 1040

Short 3 Puts at 1070

Short 4 Puts at 1075

Short 4 Puts at 1080

Short 5 Puts at 1090

Long 2 Puts at 1100

Long 5 Puts at 1110

Long 1 Puts at 1120
      Long 1 Call at 1045

Justin Ware
      Participant
      @wareinjust@hotmail.com

I adjusted (again) today.  I was uncomfortable to the downside and thus did a reverse harvey to roll up my long 1030 puts to 1040.  At the end of the day, I rolled a short 1080 put to 1090 to get back to negative vega.

Current Position:

Long 8 Puts at 1040

Short 3 Puts at 1070

Short 4 Puts at 1075

Short 8 Puts at 1080

Short 1 Put at 1090

Long 2 Puts at 1100

Long 5 Puts at 1110

Long 1 Puts at 1120
      Long 1 Call at 1045

Justin Ware
      Participant
      @wareinjust@hotmail.com

That’s based off of ONE’s calculation, however a 28 point move is pretty impressive.

D G
      Participant
      @thetaeater@gmail.com
      30 Day Affirmation Challenge

I doubt if today’s move was 3SD up.

Justin Ware
      Participant
      @wareinjust@hotmail.com

Almost a 3 SD move up – thanks Janet!  I actually adjusted at two different times today, once before Janet opened her mouth and once after.  The first adjustment rolled some of my long 1120 puts down to 1100 and the second rolled up some of my short puts.  My position overall isn’t faring too badly, imo at least.  I’m close to a roll point, however I will likely take off this trade and open a new one in May expiration if we get a continued up move.

Current Position:

Long 8 Puts at 1030

Short 3 Puts at 1070

Short 4 Puts at 1075

Short 9 Puts at 1080

Long 2 Puts at 1100

Long 5 Puts at 1110

Long 1 Puts at 1120
      Long 1 Call at 1045

Justin Ware
      Participant
      @wareinjust@hotmail.com

Thank you everyone for the input regarding the long calls.  I adjusted today, but still have “swoop” from vega and gamma to the upside that needs to be fixed tomorrow.  My plan is to roll some of my long puts at 1120 to 1110 to fix this issue.  Any thoughts, comments, insights are greatly appreciated!

Current Position:

Long 8 Puts at 1030

Short 2 Puts at 1060
      Short 9 Puts at 1070

Short 5 Puts at 1080

Long 5 Puts at 1110

Long 3 Puts at 1120
      Long 1 Call at 1045

Chris Simpson
      Participant
      @fastchris@comcast.net

Yes Cindy is correct.  You need to drop maybe 2 flies to compensate from going from 110 deltas to 90 on the call.  This is a common adjustment when your butterflies have to much value relative to the call.   This will make your t+0 nice and flat.

Cynthia Sarver
      Participant
      @wawd@yahoo.com

The problem is with the ratio of butterflies to long calls.  You’ll need to remove some butters if you’re going to drop to a single long call, regardless of whether it’s DITM.

Jason Li
      Participant
      @jiashengli@gmail.com

Hi Chris, if you have TOS, would you mind adding it to the comparison pool. Thanks

Chris Simpson
      Participant
      @fastchris@comcast.net

Yes prob one.  I have both one and optionvue, I will see if I can model it and see where the differenced lies.

Chris Simpson
      Participant
      @fastchris@comcast.net

In the above example your 2 1075 .55 delta calls are priced at $19.70.   $15.39 of that is time premium.  If the butterfly just stays in place, you will lose 3000 dollars in t premium on those calls.   A .90 delta call on the other hand is priced at $66.75 with only 2.36 of t prem.  And you only need 1 of them instead of 2.  If butterfly stays put it will lose $236 in t prem.  Its a big difference!

Justin Ware
        Participant
        @wareinjust@hotmail.com

Hey Chris,

I modeled your suggestion in ONE.  The adjustment of removing my current calls and adding a higher delta gives an ugly T+0 to the upside, however it does increase theta.  Is this possibly an issue with ONE modeling?  Thoughts?

Thanks for your input!

Chris Simpson
      Participant
      @fastchris@comcast.net

The problem is that is has too much time premium.   A deeper in the money call holds its value better because its time premium is so low.  The time decay from your .55 delta calls is putting an drag on the trade and will cause you to sag much faster.

D G
      Participant
      @thetaeater@gmail.com

+1 to Andrew’s comment above.

Andrew John
      Participant
      @ajohnnd@gmail.com

Justin,

I do not trade the M3 myself, so I have not done the backtests to validate this; but from my knowledge of the trade and the monthly returns that I have seen historically from the blog trades, I would carefully consider Cindy’s comment about the placement of your long call.

I would think the negative theta of the call as you currently have it placed would be a significant headwind to the trade consistently reaching your profit target. My understanding of the trade design is that the Butterfly contributes the primary source of return (the theta) and that the Call is strategically placed to flatten your deltas while also having minimal impact on your theta. If you place the call too high, the negative theta may weigh down the trade.

Justin Ware
      Participant
      @wareinjust@hotmail.com

I did an adjustment to make my T+0 on the upside a bit more palatable.  Gamma is starting to creep up so I’m keeping an eye on the upside to make sure I don’t get hurt by both gamma and vega on an up move next week.

Current Position:

Long 8 Puts at 1030

Short 2 Puts at 1060
      Short 12 Puts at 1070

Short 2 Puts at 1080

Long 4 Puts at 1110

Long 4 Puts at 1120
      Long 2 Calls: 1075

Cynthia Sarver
      Participant
      @wawd@yahoo.com

Justin – indeed, that works!  You can now see the sag I was talking about; it’s quite different than ONE’s version.  Of course after today’s movement, who cares?

Cynthia Sarver
      Participant
      @wawd@yahoo.com

Justin – I put your trade in OV as of Tuesday’s close.  You’ll see that the sag is the T+0 is significantly different in ONE than in OV.  Also, are your long calls really at 1075?  They’re only about a 70 delta which will also cause T+0 problems on the upside (as opposed to a 90 delta set of calls).

Of course, today you’re probably happy with it!

(Looks like I still can’t insert an image for some reason.  If you want me to email you the OV model, just let me know.)

Justin Ware
        Participant
        @wareinjust@hotmail.com

Hey Cindy,

The Insert Image button that worked for me is at the end of the row of buttons that starts with the bold icon (B).  That’s the only way I’m able to upload images.

Thanks for your help!

Justin

Justin Ware
      Participant
      @wareinjust@hotmail.com

Thank you, Cindy!  I adjusted today to lift up the sag of my T+0 line on the upside.

Current Position:

Long 5 Puts at 1020

Long 3 Puts at 1030
      Short 14 Puts at 1070

Short 2 Puts at 1080

Long 8 Puts at 1120

John Locke
      Keymaster
      @john-locke
      Going to The Trading Triangle LIVE 2016Locke In Your Success CoachAPM2Trade JournalsUltimate Income Trader Workshop

Justin,

As Cindy stated, ONE often under estimates losses on upside and over states losses on down side. Add that too your slight bearish bias and taking on the brunt of a near record rally, then the draw down makes sense.

Cynthia Sarver
      Participant
      @wawd@yahoo.com

Justin – if I recall correctly, you’re also using ONE instead of OV.  I’ve found that ONE *under* represents the upside risk and *over* represents the downside risk.  You may have had different results had you been using OV since you thought you had a flatter T+0 than you really did, and you probably didn’t have nearly as much downside risk as you thought, as well.

Jason Li
      Participant
      @jiashengli@gmail.com

Justin, sorry to hear that. Is the max loss 10% or 5% of the planned capital?

John Locke
      Keymaster
      @john-locke
      Going to The Trading Triangle LIVE 2016Locke In Your Success CoachAPM2Trade JournalsUltimate Income Trader Workshop

Justin,

An April M3 should not be near max loss. The trade should be near break even, possibly down 3-5%. Were you letting it go too long before adjusting?

John

Justin Ware
        Participant
        @wareinjust@hotmail.com

I’m down about 8% of planned capital.  When I looked back through my trades so far, I’ve gotten hurt from the frequent large up moves in combination with a sagging T+0 line on the upside.  Had I flattened out my T+0 more frequently, I wouldn’t be down much.  I was reluctant to do this because I didn’t want to raise my break even on the downside for fear of any pullback that lasted longer than a day.  My thinking was, “how many large up moves can we have in a two week period?”  That thinking has clearly hurt me in this trade.  I’ve counted 6 days with greater than one standard deviation moves (4 up, 2 down) since March 7th, which is pretty impressive imo.  As such, I haven’t had much opportunity for theta decay to help offset my losses due to vega.

Justin Ware
      Participant
      @wareinjust@hotmail.com

I rolled my entire position today and am close to max loss on this trade.

Current Position:

Long 8 Puts at 1020
      Short 16 puts at 1070

Long 8 Puts at 1120

Justin Ware
      Participant
      @wareinjust@hotmail.com

With the move up, I rolled up some short puts to fix my negative vega.  Depending on market movement tomorrow, I will possibly roll up (and reduce size) the entire position.  I’m getting close to max loss so I don’t have too many more adjustments before I simply get out of the position and look to enter next month’s position.  I still haven’t figured out how to post attachments, hopefully someone can help!

<hr />

Current Position:

Long 10 Puts at 980
      Short 14 puts at 1030

Short 6 puts at 1040
      Long 3 Puts at 1060
      Long 7 Puts at 1080
      Long Call: 1000

Justin Ware
      Participant
      @wareinjust@hotmail.com

I meant to post this already, but didn’t get around to it over the weekend.  I did a small adjustment to bring my vega back to negative this past Friday, March 11th.  I’m not sure how to upload pictures with the new forum update.  If anyone has figured it out, please let me know!

<!–nextpage–>

Current Position:

Long 10 Puts at 980
      Short 5 put at 1020
      Short 15 puts at 1030
      Long 3 Puts at 1060
      Long 7 Puts at 1080

Justin Ware
      Participant
      @wareinjust@hotmail.com

I didn’t like my T+0 line to the downside so I did a slight adjustment today.

Current Position:
      Long 10 Puts at 980
      Short 6 put at 1020
      Short 14 puts at 1030
      Long 3 Puts at 1060
      Long 7 Puts at 1080

Anonymous One
      Participant
      @anonymous@lockeinyoursuccess.com

While M3 is designed to minimize drawdowns in most scenarios, drawdowns usually result during sudden volatility transitions. If it ever suffered major drawdowns (more than 5%), it’s been my experience that it’s better to reduce profit target, not increase. If it’s less than 21 DTE, I might even exit the trade even at breakeven. Average M3 gain is around 7%.

Justin Ware
      Participant
      @wareinjust@hotmail.com

I adjusted again today (at 3:30 pm) in order to get the position back to negative vega. As you’ll notice from my current position greeks, the position ended up long vega despite being negative vega at the time of adjustment. I haven’t rolled up the entire position because I’m hesitant to do so considering the quick up move we’ve had recently. We’ll see what tomorrow brings.

Current Position:
      Long 10 Puts at 980
      Short 1 put at 1020
      Short 19 puts at 1030
      Long 3 Puts at 1060
      Long 7 Puts at 1080

Justin Ware
      Participant
      @wareinjust@hotmail.com

With the move up today in the market, I rolled some of my options to fix my vega. I didn’t move the entire position as I’m hesitant to do so with the one sided move up we’ve had recently, however my position is slightly positive delta so I’m fine if the market continues up.

Justin Ware
      Participant
      @wareinjust@hotmail.com

Thanks for everyone’s input. Since my current trade is underwater and my max loss will be unchanged, I am contemplating moving up my profit goal for this trade and future trades to 10%. As for my current position, I rolled up some of my short puts to flatten out my delta and reduce positive vega. I am still slightly positive vega and, depending on tomorrow’s movement, plan to roll up all or part my position. My current position is:

Long 10 Puts: 960 and 1060
      Short 16 puts: 1010
      Short 4 puts: 1020

Rick Wize
      Participant
      @wizerick@gmail.com

Justin,

I understand your response. But typically you want to be careful of having a plan that the maximum loss is 2x the target profit. Mathematically if you had 100 trades and won 66% (2/3rds) you would lose money. (66 x 5000 = 330,000) & (34 x 10000 = 340,000). This is assuming you make 5000 profit target on every winning trade (which is not likely).

I know the M3 should do better than 66% but, I still would be concerned with the potential outcome.

Rick

Justin Ware
      Participant
      @wareinjust@hotmail.com

The 10% loss is actually based off of the backtesting I did. I found that there were many times I’d draw down 7-8% and then the market would calm down enough for me to either get out at breakeven or make a small profit. Had my max loss been set lower, I would’ve been stopped out of these trades and ultimately had a much less favorable overall return. One of the beauties (in my opinion) of the M3 is that it takes a lot of market volatility to get down 10% on a trade if you are managing according to John’s guidelines. Hope that makes sense.

Raymond Joseph
      Participant
      @rjosephlaw@gmail.com
      Going to The Trading Triangle LIVE 201630 Day Affirmation Challenge

Justin, I agree with Rick, why are you using a 2 to 1, risk to reward ratio? To me that is setting you up to take on losses that are twice as big as your gains, which makes the trading system skewed against you.

One of my toughest tasks, in a trade is learning to let the trade “breathe”, which basically translates into allowing for inevitable draw downs (paper losses). We have all learned from childhood that losses are bad and gains are good. It’s hard to understand that in trading the market neutral strategies, you will have periods of possible paper losses, which are acceptable and in fact inevitable if you want to achieve maximum profit potential. Actually, I think I am scheduled to do an enriching session on Dealing with Fear, when trading. I think towards the end of March.

Hope this helps.

Raymond

Rick Wize
      Participant
      @wizerick@gmail.com

Justin, I’m new on the forum, but why would you have your max loss be 2x your profit target? I’m used to at a minimum to be 1 to 1.

Justin Ware
      Participant
      @wareinjust@hotmail.com

I entered into a new M3 for April expiration on Friday, 02/26/16. My planned capital is $30k, profit target is 5% of planned capital and max loss is 10% of planned capital.

DTE: 49
      Butterflies: 960/1010/1060

Viewing 43 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.