This forum is for students of the M3 trading strategy to share information.

Exit sequences

Tagged: 

6 replies, 6 voices Last updated by Raymond Joseph 5 years, 5 months ago
Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author

Raymond Joseph
      Participant
      @rjosephlaw@gmail.com
      Going to The Trading Triangle LIVE 201630 Day Affirmation Challenge

I agree with many of the above, including Bryan’s comment about taking off the trade when you get a pop in profits. I guess it’s a hard lesson to learn, but when your trade suddenly looks more profitable than ever, and you are on TOP of the WORLD ( i.e. you DOT is on the TOP of the T+0 line hill) it’s usually a good day to get out.

Anonymous One
      Participant
      @anonymous@lockeinyoursuccess.com

Just to add to what Kevin said. First I agree 100% that there is no standard sequence other than using the same greek management rules to keep your remaining position in your trading rules.

I usually take a few days to take off my M3. I usually do it over 2-3 days but maybe I should try a bit more patience like Kevin.

One addition…..that is the opposite of getting out with max loss…..if I get a day where the profit increases significantly over where it has been trending and/or projecting and it is close to my profit target I will take the entire trade off. More times than not the ‘extra’ profit goes away in the next day or so.

Kevin Lee
      Participant
      @kevinmclee@gmail.com
      Successful Options Trader of the MonthAPM2

There is no standard “good sequence” to exit. It depends on multiple factors such as what is the position delta, is the market move fast or slow, against or in favor, are you in any urgency to exit (eg. already exceeded max loss), etc.. etc..

For me, I like to take a long process to exit, starting from about DTE 21 down to 14, I’ll be peeling off parts of the position as I adjust the position delta at the same time. In this way, I am in no hurry to take off a large chunk of complex 3 or 4 legged spreads.

Robert Dobrin
      Participant
      @bobdobrin@yahoo.com
      APM2 LIVE Attendee30 Day Affirmation ChallengeThe Trading Triangle Maui 2016Ultimate Income Trader Workshop

Whether you are exiting or doing a complicated adjustment on an M3 there is no preset sequence to use. Rather you must enter trades that if filled leave a position you could live with overnight if your subsequent orders do not fill. Continue modeling your trades to get acceptable greeks and t+0 line until you complete your exit.

Chris Simpson
      Participant
      @fastchris@comcast.net
      APM230 Day Affirmation ChallengeTrade Journals

Upon thinking about your question more and how I usually do it. I like to close the complex spreads down first as they are harder to fill. I would sell a portion of my butterflies with an order that would trigger my second order which would be my long call. If my long call was a 90 delta, I would sell -90 delta worth of butterflies to keep things balanced. Then I would go for any remaining butterflies and that order would trigger my call spreads. Butterflies will be hardest to fill at your desired price and call will be easiest and fastest to sell. These will all be contingent orders.

Chris Simpson
      Participant
      @fastchris@comcast.net
      APM230 Day Affirmation ChallengeTrade Journals

I always look at what is hurting me the most. I close my trouble side first then began to close stuff down in a manner that keeps my deltas balanced. You don’t want to turn your delta neutral trade into a directional trade. That can happen in a heartbeat if the market turns on you. So just take off your risk in a balanced manner.

Kurt K
      Participant
      @fxmankk@gmail.com
      30 Day Affirmation Challenge

I was wondering what’s a good sequence for exiting an M3 that has a call vertical.
      This is the sequence I’m thinking of:
      1. close call vertical
      2. close 1/2 of flys
      3. close protective call
      4. close remaining flys

Are there better sequences?

thanks,

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.