This forum is for GO and PRO members to post questions or topics to be answered during an upcoming live session.

2021.08.11 – SESSION 26– GO ASK A TRADER

7 replies, 5 voices Last updated by Sherri Locke 1 month ago
Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author

Sherri Locke
      Keymaster
      @KDAKSj4ux
      Going to The Trading Triangle LIVE 2016Ultimate Income Trader Workshop

The video index for this session has been posted. Enjoy!

Ron van Steenoven
      Participant
      @ronvs@rvsa.ca

Hello everyone,

I need to correct a statement I made during this session regarding the availability of portfolio margining in Canada. The reference to portfolio margining I thought was from TD Direct Investing (my Canadian broker), was actually from TD-Ameritrade (TD’s USA division). Further research through IIROC (Canada’s agency that governs the rules on margin) indicates that they are in the process of implementing portfolio margining starting at the “wholesale” level. As far as I can tell from my research, it has not yet trickled down to the retail customer level. Sorry for the miss information and any inconvenience it may have caused.

John Locke
        Keymaster
        @john-locke
        Going to The Trading Triangle LIVE 2016Locke In Your Success CoachAPM2Trade JournalsUltimate Income Trader Workshop

Thanks for the correction Ron

Jenica Locke
      Keymaster
      @Holzschuh8Jenica

The recording of the GO Ask a Trader session from earlier today is ready to view. Enjoy!

John Locke
      Keymaster
      @john-locke
      Going to The Trading Triangle LIVE 2016Locke In Your Success CoachAPM2Trade JournalsUltimate Income Trader Workshop

I am doing backtesting of the M3-4U and had a question on the rules and comapring that with John’s tlog. the adjustment is – if price outside the tent and negative delta, roll the upper longs in to permissible positive delta(0 < Delta < 20). if this results in margin > max capital, roll up lower long. If adjustment causes delta to be outside permissble limit, do nothing. Per the above rules, on Jan18, 2011 for the Feb11 trade, the adjustment should have been roll 10 upper longs in and roll 10 lower longs up. In the tlog only 5 upper longs were rolled in. Can someone please help understand if I am missing anything? Attaching the screenshot from John’s presentation.

Note the trade was in acct M3.4u 2011-2020-10, Date 1-18-2011, Trade Feb 11

Keep the “spirit of the law” in mind

Order of adjustment procedure ie roll upper check cap, if cap too high, lower cap, roll upper

modern day capital limit guidance change

John Locke
      Keymaster
      @john-locke

Live trade execution pricing orders

Live order entry differences from back testing software

Real meaning of mid prices and trade P/L

Alternate adjustments in market events

Campaign P/L on broker site

Margin Control in different types of accounts

Use of modelling position

Dan Shaw
      Participant
      @dkshaw@gmail.com

Hi John,

This is on the topic of negotiating commissions with your broker. I recently came across this topic and the below suggestions were provided. Do you agree with this approach or how have you been successful in negotiating commissions during your career?

1. Do your homework – Find out how much you have paid in fees over the last year and how long you have been with them.
      2. Timing – Call up broker towards the end of the year. This is when they are closing their books and forecasting for next year.
      3. Question to Ask – Ask how you can get your commission rate reduced. Let them know how long you have been with them, how much you have already paid, and how much your trading will increase next year. See if there is anything they can do to help.
      4. Lightly Negotiate – Almost all of the time they will come back with a reduction, but it will not be the lowest. If comfortable, tell them that you need a minute to think about it, and then ask them if they can lower it to xxx amount.
      5. Frequency – Plan to do this each year at the end of the year.

It’s important to state that you don’t want to do this right after you open your account. Your success will be greater the longer you have been with them and the more capital that you trade.

Thanks John!

Jenica Locke
      Keymaster
      @Holzschuh8Jenica

We highly encourage PRO, GO, and Trading Performance members to post their questions and topics to be discussed in the REPLY TO text box below at least 48 hours in advance of this meeting.

Click here if you would like to request a mini coaching session.

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.