This forum is for GO and PRO members to post questions or topics to be answered during an upcoming live session.

2021.07.14 – SESSION 25– GO ASK A TRADER

9 replies, 6 voices Last updated by Jenica Locke 2 weeks, 3 days ago
Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author

Jenica Locke
      Keymaster
      @Holzschuh8Jenica

The recording of the GO Ask a Trader session from earlier today is ready to view. Enjoy!

Lee Shuck
      Participant
      @Lee.Shuck@LeeShuck.com
      30 Day Affirmation Challenge

Hi John,

I was reviewing a possible entry for RUT Sept 17 expiry on Tuesday 7/6 when RUT was trading around 2270. I noticed the only strikes trading below 2200 were at 50 point increments.  I contacted TOS support and they said they could request addition of 10 point increment strikes from the exchange. The strikes did show up on a subsequent day.  Is this something you see frequently and how do you deal with?  I was hesitant to place a live trade since I did not want to be constrained to 50 point increment strikes for any adjustments.

Thanks!

E S
      Participant
      @storminator@telenet.be

hi John,

Not sure I can join the session live (am in Europe) but will listen to recording.

Am new here so my question is probably quite basic:

I watched “the bull” video and the setup starts 65 DTE, however with options premium decay fairly flat till ~35 DTE, why go out to 65 DTE?

The only reason I can think of is that we are in a (long) bull market so are anticipating RUT to go higher (a little) during the first 30 days in the trade, which then, despite little premium decay, provides a “cushion” to the trade in case RUT would drop (within reason)?

Or are there other reasons?

thank you!

Dan Shaw
      Participant
      @dkshaw@gmail.com

Hi John,

Can you briefly touch upon the topic of partially removing butterflies on a trade?

1. When would you consider removing some?
      2. What are the pros/cons of doing so?
      3. After you have reduced a position and you either roll up or back, do you re-enter the trade with the same amount of butterflies or the original amount at the beginning of the trade?

Thanks as always.

John Locke
        Keymaster
        @john-locke
        Going to The Trading Triangle LIVE 2016Locke In Your Success CoachAPM2Trade JournalsUltimate Income Trader Workshop

Is there a specific trading strategy you are referring to such as M3 butterfly/call or M3.4u?

Dan Shaw
        Participant
        @dkshaw@gmail.com

Mainly for the M3 John, but I would be curious about the M3.4U also!

John Locke
      Keymaster
      @john-locke
      Going to The Trading Triangle LIVE 2016Locke In Your Success CoachAPM2Trade JournalsUltimate Income Trader Workshop

Ron van Steenoven  Trade Review M3.4u

Dan Shaw
      Participant
      @dkshaw@gmail.com

Hi John,

I’ve heard from you and others in the community talking about how butterflies right now are “unusually cheap”.  Paul on your latest successful trader of the month determined that 9-day butterflies are lower in price than historical 30-day. (Amazing interview with him by the way.)

I am also seeing that there is not much P/L movement in the first ~30 days or so of my M3/M3.4U trades, which has me interested in shorter timeframes.

Can you help clarify a few basic fundamental questions I have regarding this:

1. What does “cheap” really mean? Does it mean you can purchase more butterflies with the same amount of planned capital? Anything else that this indicates?
      2. Has there ever been a time in your trading career where a butterfly was too expensive to trade with?
      3. How do you calculate in ONE/OV how much a single symmetrical butterfly and broken wing butterfly costs?
      4. Anything else around this topic you could share would be much appreciated.

John Locke
        Keymaster
        @john-locke

Thanks for the question Dan!

Sherri Locke
      Keymaster
      @KDAKSj4ux
      Going to The Trading Triangle LIVE 2016Ultimate Income Trader Workshop

We highly encourage PRO, GO, and Trading Performance members to post their questions and topics to be discussed in the REPLY TO text box below at least 48 hours in advance of this meeting.

Click here if you would like to request a mini coaching session.

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.