This forum is where we welcome any trading related topic to be posted!

Portfolio Management – What else do you trade apart from options?

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author

Justin Ware
      Participant
      @wareinjust@hotmail.com
      30 Day Affirmation ChallengeThe Trading Triangle Maui 2016APM2

I currently allocate about half to John Locke strategies and half to CSPs, however I’m planning on increasing the percentage to CSPs.

Anonymous One
        Participant
        @anonymous@lockeinyoursuccess.com

Yes, that seems to be an excellent choice for these markets…

Mary Ellen Prentice
      Participant
      @meprentice47@hotmail.com
      APM2 LIVE Attendee30 Day Affirmation Challenge

I allocate about 50% of my portfolio to CSPs/long stock/covered calls.  However, if I need more capital for my other trades i.e. overlapping M3s, then I buy longs for some of my CSPs turning them into put credit spreads.  This frees up a lot of margin.

Anonymous One
        Participant

Very good idea! Thanks…

Justin Ware
      Participant
      @wareinjust@hotmail.com
      30 Day Affirmation ChallengeThe Trading Triangle Maui 2016APM2

I also trade CSP’s on dividend paying stocks, typically dividend aristocrats.  The options don’t yield much, but they are simple to manage.

Anonymous One
        Participant

Thank you… yes, dividend aristocrats are the way to go if you want to be conservative… BTW, how much % of your portfolio do you allocate to CSP’s vs JL strategies…?

Mary Ellen Prentice
      Participant
      @meprentice47@hotmail.com
      APM2 LIVE Attendee30 Day Affirmation Challenge

Venkat, I also sell naked puts and put spreads in stocks that I would not mind owning, usually Blue Chip Stocks.  If I happen to get assigned on these naked puts, I will then sell covered calls and collect dividends.  I happily leave these trades on when I go on vacation and I don’t worry about them (much).  (The ones I have worried about are usually the non-blue chip stocks that I wish I had not gotten into in the first place when I got assigned).  I find these trades a great way to distract myself from looking at my M3 or BB trades during the trading day.  The naked puts don’t return a huge %, however they are easy and do bring in some extra money.

Anonymous One
        Participant

Glad to know, Mary! Yes, cash-secured-puts returns are conservative (around 18%) but I would gladly accept it for the cash sitting in my account. I traded equity CSP’s earlier (Teddi Knight has some great suggestions on CSP strategies) but of late moved on to SPX options. Thanks for sharing your inputs…

Jwilliam Varner
      Participant
      @nutsryou@hotmail.com
      30 Day Affirmation ChallengeAPM2

Venkat,

Just read your response to my question regarding the M9 trade, thanks for your response,it was very helpful. You’re right, JL has developed a number of trades, and from a recent comment he made apparently still is, many of which I have found to be great. I didn’t want to be missing one someone else might have found to be useful.

Bill

D G
      Participant
      @thetaeater@gmail.com
      30 Day Affirmation Challenge

Yes, all the remaining % goes to options trading, which is majority of my portfolio allocation. I also trade SSS in my IRAs. I think SSS especially Bull Vs Bear is highly under utilized strategy.

Jwilliam Varner
      Participant
      @nutsryou@hotmail.com
      30 Day Affirmation ChallengeAPM2

Venkat, what is the M15 trade, I’m not familiar with it;and, do you know if John has any webinars posted somewhere that details the trade? Thanks.

Anonymous One
        Participant

I could be wrong but here is my understanding.

John Locke has been systematically developing/testing/trading various trading methods. He keeps calling them M1, M2, M3… et al. I remember him saying once that he has more than couple of hundred strategies at various stages in his trading lab. Once certified by JL, some of his earlier methods could be renamed based on popular perception. M9 became Bearish Butterfly overtime with more finer details incorporated. Similarly, M15 became Rock. Hope this helps.

D G
      Participant
      @thetaeater@gmail.com
      30 Day Affirmation Challenge

I opportunistically trade crude oil, bonds, high beta Nasdaq stocks and their earnings also. When I do trade them, I allocate a smaller percentage of my portfolio to those strategies (5%-40%).

Anonymous One
        Participant

DG: Thanks. So, do you allocate the remaining percentage to options trading?

Anonymous One
      Participant

I have a question on your portfolio management. Apart from trading M3/BBF/M15/M21/SSS, what else do you trade in your account? Any other option strategies? Stock picking? Bonds? How much do you allocate for each of them? Just curious…

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.